Sunday, March 2, 2008

Carden turns six!


The big six! Carden was so excited about his birthday, and he good-naturedly accepted my quashing his party plans with the new rule of a friend party every other year. Lucky for me he's also still at the age where a little goes a long way. Carden woke us up on his big day to announce that, "I'm six now. I'm wiser." Apparently he'd really taken to heart the lyrics from the Primary birthday song, "One year older and wiser too / Happy birthday to you."

We made a collage of birthday balloons on his bedroom wall, each balloon labeled with one of his endearing traits. He ate pancakes with sprinkles for breakfast and then I took the kids to Kangaroo Zoo, a big warehouse filled with inflatable bouncy houses. Happy Meals for lunch, and one very happy, very sweaty kid went off to kindergarten to be the star of the day and distribute Rice Krispie treats to his peers.

We had dinner at the Mayan Adventure restaurant, which was a new experience for all of us. Imagine Disneyland meets El Torito. The dining areas are built around a 30-foot indoor waterfall with Mayan cliff divers performing their skills while you eat. Carden went down for a closer watch and got drenched. Charlotte was mesmerized, and Seth was a little intimidated by the whole spectacle.

Four days later we are still eating the enormous Costco chocolate cake. I have to say I love my children for thinking that Costco chocolate cake is the pinnacle of birthday success. I spent hours last year making a handcrafted extravaganza (by my standards), and was SO happy not to have to do it again. When asked to describe his newfound status, our hero stated, "It feels like a different life. I love being six. It feels happy!"

There you have it. Wishing us all a different life that feels happy.

No comments: