Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lost in spaaaaace.....

I've heard from several friends, also doing time as Cub Scout den leaders, that our Blue & Gold Banquets are way over the top. Maybe so. We really tried to scale back this year, but apparently we're not so good at thinking small. It was really fun though, and the looks on the boys faces are classic when they see all their decorations everywhere.

The boys made tin-foil-toilet-paper rockets, decorated rocket ships and aliens to hang from the ceiling, and mapped constellations to hang on the walls. We had a great slide show of all the scout activities of the past year, and the highlight was the scout dance. We put glow sticks on their wrists and ankles, blasted some funky techno music, turned all the lights off, and let them jump around so all you could see was the moving glow sticks. The key to getting 8-10-year-old boys to dance is to do it in total darkness so no one can see them. We won't talk about the leaders' grand dance entrance: Sunglasses + husbands' suit coats + the Men in Black theme song.

Carden designed a UFO cake for the cake-decorating competition and I really tried to be hands-off and let him do it myself. It worked best if I actually left the room and came back when he was done. I piped the border between the two cake layers, but he did everything else.

3 comments:

sarah e. said...

The banquet really is amazing. You should be proud. I don't even want to imagine how amazing those boys' wedding open houses will be in twenty years.

Caroline Brock said...

That cultural hall looks amazing!!!!!!! I am wondering when you are posting your "men in black" entrance on YouTube !! I chuckled when I read about having to leave the room while Carden decorated his cake....so true!!!

Caroline Brock said...

That cultural hall looks amazing!!!!!!! I am wondering when you are posting your "men in black" entrance on YouTube !! I chuckled when I read about having to leave the room while Carden decorated his cake....so true!!!