Monday, February 28, 2011

What's your metaphor?


Last night (technically early this morning, since I was growing roots in the Walmart checkout line when the calendar ticked over from Saturday to Sunday) I said to Tyler:

"Lately I feel like a gerbil stuck in those exercise wheels. I'm running so fast every day but I'm not making any progress. Do you feel like that?"



His response: "Actually I feel like that scene from Star Wars when they're in the trash compactor."

Now I feel irritated that I can't even come up with a life metaphor that isn't trite and cliche.

Beware. I'm scouring my meager repertoire of pop culture, searching for a metaphor that will blow his compacted trash out of the park.

2 comments:

Caroline Brock said...

Thanks for my first belly laugh of the day! I certainly remember those years. I think my metaphor of that phase of life was "running in quicksand" . Not too unique, but it fit. It just took so much more time and energy to get anything done! It does get slightly better in a few years--I promise! Of course, I am about 6 months away from my oldest daughter starting the onslaught of estrogen. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, but with 4 girls I'm sure there will be many more "metaphors" ahead!

Kristin said...

It's Groundhog Day every day.