Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Claire's blessing


We held Claire's blessing at home the Sunday after Christmas. In the LDS faith, a baby blessing is similar to a christening. The baby is officially given a name and the one giving the blessing, usually the dad, offers a prayer for that child's life.


When Charlotte was blessed, she wore the dress that I had worn as a baby. For Claire's day she wore the dress my mother had worn for her blessing. The look on my grandmother's face when I brought out the dress was priceless. Neither of us has any idea how the dress came into my possession. (I have a vague memory of it being stuffed in a box with some antique silver bowls.) She assures me it was white 60-odd years ago, but it has aged to a lovely ivory color.


The dress is made of Japanese silk that my grandfather brought back from his time in Japan as a serviceman during WWII. My great-grandmother made the dress and crocheted the lace on the hem and the matching lace cardigan. The silk is so fragile now I was nervous about Claire wearing it, but it added so much to our day, and it just seemed right for her spirit. I love the thought of five generations of women involved in that dress: Nina made it, Norma chose it, Sandy wore it, Kristen revived it, and Claire wore it. All those women are a part of you, Claire. Remember that you are loved.


7 comments:

The Florist said...

Exquisite. Priceless, timeless beauty. Thank you so much for sharing. What a beloved little angel you have! So happy for you.

Caroline Brock said...

WOW. That dress! What a beautiful story....... I think that's the most amazing blessing dress I've ever seen! Claire already looks so grown up....her features are like a 6 month olds! I can't wait to see her in May.

S-T.E.C.H. said...

Perfect!! Love the name Claire by the way...can't wait to meet her! Going to Mindy's wedding March 19 in Idaho?

Unknown said...

Beautiful girl and beautiful dress! Love the history of the dress, thats incredible.

Jenny said...

That was beautiful Kristen! Claire, the dress, and your writing--all beautiful! (and especially those precious little feet!)

Mags said...

She's SOOOooo Cute kristen! Congratulations!

candace cottrell said...

This is absolutely priceless! I love the aged ivory color, the exquisite lace, etc. What a wonderful thing to do to for Claire some day (when she's older) to recognize her great family heritage!