Monday, September 14, 2009

Extreme nesting

The kids watched "Lady and the Tramp" last week and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" this week. In both films the scenes with the expectant mother depict her sitting placidly in a rocking chair knitting baby booties, blankets, or sweaters. She hums.

This makes me wonder where I went wrong. I am in the process of:

Freezing pesto. Seth is a champion basil picker.

Refinishing the kitchen table. The varnish had completely worn off, so every spill soaked into the wood, requiring a good scraping after every meal.

Dehydrating pears. Supposedly easier than canning. Definitely tastier.

Making jam. Apricot, raspberry, blackberry, mixed berry... And the plums are ripe this week.

Canning tomatoes and applesauce. Now I know the real reason we didn't send Seth to kindergarten--he's too helpful to lose.


Planting trees. The 50% off sale was too good to pass up. We added a linden, honey locust, tulip tree, and ash. A friend said perplexedly, "But I thought you already had trees in your yard. Any more and the Forest Service will be annexing your property."

Helping with the enrichment activity, PTA carnival fundraiser, and soaking all Charlotte's old baby clothes in vats of Oxi-Clean. I swear that stuff was clean when I put it away two years ago.

I am not humming.

7 comments:

Mandi said...

Wow! All that and house guests too... you are superwoman! We miss you guys!

The Florist said...

Knitting is overated. Then again, so is humming. Pesto is so much better. Happy nesting.

The Florist said...

Knitting is overated. Then again, so is humming. Pesto is so much better. Happy nesting.

sarah e. said...

It sounds like you are more productive than those movie moms-to-be, even with the brood you already have! Who needs to knit when you have Charlotte's hopefully-now-stain-free hand-me-downs? You are making me think I should give up napping and get more done myself.

Melanie said...

Whew! I'm exhausted just reading your post. Hopefully you'll get a little time to sit and rock after the baby comes.

Heidi said...

WOW! I'm tired just reading your list! You go girl!

Kristin said...

Yeah, but you never sang in a tree to Tyler either, so there's no point starting to wear quilts as dresses either.