Sunday, June 7, 2009

Why I am a good mother; Reason #218


We come out of swim lessons to see that the city has set up a "get to know your city departments" fair. After free hot dogs and lemonade, the boys want to ride in the power company's cherry picker.
"Fine," I say. I will stand here in line so you can ride the cherry picker. When we get to the front of the line they want me to go with them.
"Oh no," I say. "That's the last thing I'm going to do."
"Oh but you have to" says the power company guy. He's smirking, so I'm not sure if he's joking or not.

"You're kidding." I tell him. "They can go with you. I give permission."
"But look," he tells me. "They want you to go."
So against my better judgment--against any judgment at all--I climb in, and let me tell you, there is no graceful way to climb into a cherry picker. And up we go. Way up. The next time I see my house from that vantage point I better be floating on a cloud plucking a harp. I decide that this is not the time to discuss the recent rise in electrical rates with the guy operating the controls.

6 comments:

sarah e. said...

You are not just a good mother. You are a brave one too. :)

Aubri Moench said...

You ARE an amazing mom! I would have said no way and made them all cry...

The Florist said...

Please tell me you were wearing pants.

Heidi said...

YOU are a GOOD mom! I'm so impressed! Just think of the points you earned!

em kawasaki said...

Your blog always makes me laugh! You are a good mother. Congratulations on the upcoming baby girl! I have been a little out of touch since Clint was born so I am probably a bit late on the congratulations.

Deborah A. said...

Funny, so funny.

I would love to read the other 217 on your list.

Or you can just tell me in private so that don't have to censor yourself.